Thursday 6 October 2011

Author Interview: Maranda Russell

Maranda Russell has written In Memory Of Dad.


1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
My name is Maranda Russell and my home is currently in Dayton, Ohio, although I was born and raised in Muncie, Indiana. 

2. Do you have a pen name?

Not currently. 

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say? 

My latest work is an ebook called "Weezie, the Elephant with Allergies". It's about an orphaned elephant who wants to be adopted, but sneezes on each prospect, leaving them covered in snot. 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? 

I have a print picture book coming out later this month called "Ode to Icky", and I have several other projects on the back burner. 
5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? 

My love of books and words inspired me to start writing. I have wanted to be a writer since before I even learned to read or write. I used to sit and cry when I was a preschooler because I feared I would never learn to read or write. 

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews? 

Sometimes. Although lately I haven't had to go looking for book reviewers so much, many of them actually come to me, which is a great feeling. I do give a free copy to anyone I ask to review my book though. 

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book? 

Except for "Ode to Icky" which was professionally illustrated, I have designed the covers for my books. I try to create an eyecatching, age appropriate cover for each book I write. 

8. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why? 

No, although I do have to stop editing my books at a certain point because I am a perfectionist and could pick it to pieces if I let myself. 

9. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?

Paperbacks and ebooks. For some reason I really can't stand hardcovers that have the separate paper cover that comes off, but I don't mind hardcovers if they are plastic bound (like textbooks or library books). Weird, I know, but that's me. 

10. Are you a self-published / Indie author? 

Yes and no. My ebooks are self-published, but my picture book was published through a publishing company. 
11. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it? 

Yes, the Bible and many children's picture books. I normally do not read novels more than once. 

12. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format? 

I am reading a romantic anthology called "Legendary Tails", "Dear Dumb Diary, Am I the Princess or the Frog" by Jim Benton, "Man Shoes, The Journey to Becoming a Better Man, Husband and Father" by Tom Watson and a collection of original Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm. All of them are either hardback or paperback. I do have a couple Kindle books waiting for me too, but I haven't started them yet. 

13. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing? 

Never give up. It is an uphill battle, but if you really have a passion for it, keep trying. I have quit million of times out of sheer frustration or disappointment, but always end up being drawn back to writing because it is literally a part of who I am. 

14. Where can your readers follow you? 


Blog: http://www.marandarussell.com 


Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/Maranda.Russe...


Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/480...


Twitter: @Shojobeatgirl 


Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maranda-Russell/e/...


Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/s..







Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice interview. Congrats, Maranda, on your writing successes. IN MEMORY OF DAD is a wonderful, uplifting story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for doing the interview with me Rachel! And thanks for your kind comment Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete