Saturday 22 October 2011

Author Interview: D. D. Chant

D. D. Chant has written Broken City.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is D. D. Chant, I'm 24 and I live in beautiful Devon, England.

2. Do you have a pen name?
Yes, DeeDee is my sister's pet name for me and Chant is my Great-Grandfather's name.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you have to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
'Broken City' an Adventure Romance with a little Mystery set in the near future after a banking crisis!

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I'm planning on uploading my second book in December/January! It's in a different genre from 'Broken City' and is the start of a series called 'The Lady Quill Chronicles', the first book has the title 'The Promise'.
I'm also half way through another story 'Fracture' which is the start of a series and set in a dystopian future!

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
My family have always been very supportive of my writing, especially my Aunt. I finished 'Broken City' when I was about 20, but I'd written a novel before that.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes of course, just get in touch with me via Goodreads and I’ll send out a PDF copy. I love hearing which bits people liked best and I think it’s important to take notice of them. A readers impute can only improve your writing because it gives you a totally objective view on what works in your book and what doesn’t and you can put that information to good use in your next story!!! 

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I have a picture on my wall that we’ve had for AGES. Whenever I thought about my book, that picture would spring into my mind so I knew I wanted something like it for the cover. I knew someone who was an artist and asked her if she would be interested in doing the cover. She worked really hard on it and did several mock ups first before we settled on the final image. The great thing about it is I have the original oil painting on my wall!!! I had Freeline do the graphics and was so happy with them that they are doing my second book too!

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I think I was about three chapters into the book when I settled on ‘Broken City’. It was on a short list with two others:
The other brother
The lost Boy
But to me ‘Broken City’ just seemed to sum everything up so completely.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I think I might put a little more about how lost Jan and Deeta feel about being without their family. I can’t say any more than that for fear of giving too much away!

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don’t have a book trailer; I spent out on proof reading!!! I’ve seen quite a few and when they’re good, they are GOOD! But sometimes they can be confusing.

11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I have a kindle and I LOVE it!!! I really do think it’s the way forward and that, in a few years, not having and e-reader will be as unthinkable as not having a computer!
Save the trees! Go digital!


12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes I’m an Indie. In some ways it’s hard but a lot of traditional published authors are finding it hard too. A lot of my Trad Pubbed friends say that you have to put in the same amount of effort even if you have the backing of a publisher and I like making my work available for a reasonable price.


13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I often re-read books! The latest was ‘The Sooner’ by S.G. Alan.


14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Moonstone on my Kindle! It’s a group read at one of my book groups and it’s beautifully written.


15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what's the best advice you have been given when it comes to writing?
I would say that it’s very important to listen to criticism. Yes it HURTS but its objective in a way you can’t be! Listen to it and try to implement it in your next book. Also if at first you don’t succeed try, try again! Don’t be scared to write off an entire novel as a learning experience and start on something new. That’s what I did!!!
I was told that the thing that makes characters seem more real is their emotional reaction to the situations they’re in. Try to imagine what that characters reaction would be if they were in that position rather than making them do what you want them to.

16. Where can your readers follow you?







Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. Love the interview. Especially the part about making your characters react to a situation, I read that too in a book about how to create characters and really helped me through my writing. Nice to learn so much more about D.D.!

    ReplyDelete