Thursday 13 October 2011

Author Interview: Belle Whittington

Belle Whittington has written Cicada.


1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
My name is Belle Whittington, and I live in a small, inconsequential town with the smallest most inconsequential name somewhere north of Houston, Texas.

2. What is the name of your most recent book? If you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Cicada is my most recent YA novel, and it is the first in a trilogy. Five friends find something not human in the woods, and what follows is a literal fight for their lives.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?  
Yes.  I’m currently writing two books at the same time.  It sounds more difficult that it really is!   Yes, the two books that I’m writing are the two sequels to CicadaFirefly is the second in the trilogy, and I have not yet named the third and last book in the series.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing?  And how long have you been writing?
I cannot remember what exact experience caused me to want to be a writer, but I remember that I was in the second grade and I was completely entranced when my second grade teacher, Mrs. Rambin, would read to use after lunch. I’ve been writing stories as long as I’ve been able to write.  But I’ve been daydreaming stories my whole life.  And sometimes it seems my entire life has a bit of magic woven throughout it from all that daydreaming! 

5. Who designed the cover of your book?  
My brilliant daughter designed the cover of Cicada.  The cover looks terrific on an e-book, but it’s even baby more beautiful on the paperback.

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?  
The book sort of named itself.  And when it came to me, it just seemed right.

7. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
Yes!  I have a lovely book trailer, which was also created by my brilliant daughter. Being a lover of movie trailers, my transition to loving book trailers was an easy one.  I find book trailers to be a wonderful way to introduce ones book to potential readers.  And, they are just plain fun!

8. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?  
I love all modes of books.  Each type of publishing offers flexibility for readers to enjoy ones writing.

9. Are you a self-published / Indie author?  
Yes, I’m an indie author, and it’s been a terrific ride so far!

10. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?  
Yes. Most recently I was reading Labyrinths by Borge and Spellbound by Schultz.  Those are two very different genres altogether! LOL!

11. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format? 
I’m currently reading Glow. It’s a paperback I won from the publisher.  And I’m enjoying it very much indeed!

12. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Read, read, read, and then write, write, write!  Read much and write often!  And stay away from adverbs!

13. Where can your readers follow you?










Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. Belle is so lucky to have a daughter who can make such a gorgeous book cover! Need to go see that trailer now...

    ReplyDelete