Sunday 30 October 2011

Author Interview: L. K. Rigel

L.K. Rigel has written Give Me.

1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
LK Rigel. I live in sunny (too sunny for me) California.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Give Me: A young witch with a good heart. Two lovers in mortal danger. A spell that ends in disaster.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I didn’t intend Give Me to be part of a series, but – as does happen – the characters and events grew. Happily, readers are asking for more from this world. I’m just finishing up a novelette about how Cade’s mother decided to marry Lord Dumnos. And there will be another novel, a sequel to Give Me, about the conflict between the witches and the fae.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? 
My seventh grade teacher, Miss Harris, was the first person who made me think of myself as a writer. I’ve been writing ever since.

5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, quite often. I have a list of reviewers who I send copies to when I release a new title.

6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I love Give Me’s cover! A writer friend of mine knew I was writing a fairy story, and she came across the image and alerted me. The cover girl is the very image of Elyse, and this cover has the virtue of depicting a scene in the book. The amazing Robin Ludwig Design designed the cover.

7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
All my books have odd titles. It’s the bane of my writing career! Give Me is a clue to the character of whoever says the words. For instance, a woman in love with Prince Galen says to her mother, a powerful witch, “You could give me Galen, mother.” Her give me is selfish. With Cade, the present-day hero, it’s entirely different. The first thing he says to Lilith is, “Give me your hand.” He wants to help her down from the train. When Idris, the fae king, says “give me your hand,” his intentions are not at all benign. Eventually, the solution to Lilith’s and Cade’s problem of possession comes down to what they are and are not willing to give.

8. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I prefer e-books, most definitely. I’ve even bought e-copies of books I own in hardback. Now that I’m used to my Kindle, I don’t want to read on anything else. I just find it a better experience, though I know many people prefer a print book.

9. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
All the time! I reread Middlemarch, Hawaii, Possession, Persuasion, Dune, and He Knew He Was Right quite a bit. Except in the Trollope I tend to skip the parts about the main hero/heroine. They’re such winy babies to me – but I love the secondary characters, especially Aunt Jemima.



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment