Sunday 23 October 2011

Author Interview: Elle LaPraim

Elle LaPraim has written The Colors Of Qua, The Seamstresses and The Crecian Experience.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My Name is Elle LaPraim and I live in Rainy Portland Or, USA

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My latest short story is called The Colors of Qua. On the surface, it’s about a girl who believes she is the Grim Reaper and being punished for the secret she keeps inside. Underneath that though, it is truly about feeling alone, and how we always tend to punish ourselves far more than anyone else could.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I have three short stories for sale now, and I am currently working on a new short story about how much it would actually suck to be a super hero. After that I will be working on my first full-length fantasy novel.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I have been writing since I was old enough to write and before that I drew my stories in pictures. I have dyslexia, so I never thought I could ever be a writer. I just wrote in my room and hid my journals under my bed. It wasn't until I got married a few years a go that my husband encouraged me to publish my work. I started putting my short stories on-line in May, and have been overwhelmed by the success they have had. I still jump up and down every time I make a sale. J That is something I plan to always do, even if I’m selling thousands of books a day!

5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Absolutely! I am so grateful to anyone who is willing to take time out of their busy lives, to read my work and review it. I keep all of my reviews in a folder, so I can go back and read them again anytime I need encouragement. 

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Coming up with the title to a story is harder than actually writing it, sometimes. It’s so much pressure. I feel like I'm naming a child. This story was particularly hard because although it is technically about the Grim Reaper, it’s not a horror story, it’s a thought-provoking fantasy, so I wanted to give it a name that reflected that.

7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I prefer e-books, since I have a Kindle. I have gotten rid of most of my paperback books, but I miss them terribly. I love listening to audio books when I go for long walks. I just downloaded The Hunger Game and I can’t wait to get started. I know, I know it’s crazy that I have not read it yet. I might be the only person left who hasn't.

8. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am a self-published author. What I love about being self-published is that I not only have control over every aspect of my story, but I also get a chance to have a relationship with my readers. People read my stories and then they know they can email me and let me know what they think. I love answering questions about my stories and encouraging younger writers with their work. I try to have the kind of relationship with my readers, that I wish I could have with some of the authors I love. So far, Stephanie Meyers and I are not coffee buddies, but a girl can dream.

9. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I have not read an entire book twice because there are so many great books out there that I still need to read! That said, there is a chapter in Ann Brashares Book My Name is Memory, which I have read over and over. It is a beautiful little chapter about a homing pigeon. I read it every time I need a little inspiration.

10. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am reading the Clash of The Kinds by George R.R Martin. It is the second book in the Fire and Ice series. I am reading it on the Kindle. I love the Kindle because I am a really slow reader and with the Kindle you never know how far you are, so you can’t get discouraged and quit. Both the books in the series have been about 850 pages. I never would have started the series if I had known that, but I am glad I did.

11. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My best advice for writers is just to go for it. I have always been self-conscious about my writing. I was absolutely terrified to fail as a writer, so I never tried. Then I got to a place in my life where I decided I would rather fail than not try. So I guess in a way, I set out to fail, and the greatest thing happened, I didn't!
The best advice I have been given is to write the truth. Whatever the truth of the story might be. I keep that quote written on the wall above my computer. I think this is so important. Sometimes I want to cut something out because I am worried of what people will think of me or what I write. Then I remember as the writer, it is my job to tell my character's stories the way they tell them to me. It’s not my job to alter them. People know truth when they see it, truth is what hits you in your soul and makes the book become a part of you. That’s my job!

12. Where can your readers follow you?








Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment