Wednesday 12 October 2011

Author Interview: Michelle Isenhoff

Michelle Isenhoff has written The Color Of Freedom.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Michelle Isenhoff, and I live in a quite corner of beautiful Michigan.

2. Do you have a pen name?
No, I wanted all my old friends and classmates to see me in print, lol! 

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
This spring, I dove into self-publishing by bringing three of my books to print at once.  The Color of Freedom was among them.  Within, Meadow, 14, shares the American rebels’ desire for freedom, but will liberty in Puritan Boston extend to Irish Catholics? 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Oh, I have pages full of plans!  Actually, I’ve just finished a middle grade fantasy called The Quill Pen which I’m hoping to publish traditionally, as my marketing talents register just below those of my goldfish.  It will not be part of a series.  As much as I love historical fiction, The Quill Pen has shown me how fun it is to write in a less-restrained genre.  I’ve also finished a rough draft for a second children’s fantasy, but first I have to finish the final book of my Divided Decade Trilogy (Civil War, YA), that is due out in spring 2012.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve loved to write nearly as long as I’ve loved to read.  Many teachers and my parents have encourage me along the way, but one particular professor, Dr. Judith Fabisch, went beyond all others.  She actually helped me submit my first manuscript to a publisher.  It was promptly rejected, but  Dr. Fabisch gave me the nudge I needed to get my work out there. 

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Not paperback editions, unfortunately, as my aforementioned marketing skills won’t support the expense.  But I love to pass out digital versions.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I designed it myself when I found that super-cool picture. 

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I can’t remember how I came up with The Color of Freedom, exactly, but I know it took more than a year of hard thinking.  This was the very first full-length manuscript I ever wrote, started back in 2003.  I know a movie has since been made with this same title, but my drafts from 2004 proudly bear it – long before the movie.

9. Do you have a book trailer?
I do.  It was really fun to make – I certainly learned a lot.  It’s viewable at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E-zSg2gADs

10. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Writing a novel is a long-term commitment with lots of setbacks and rejection.  Don’t give up!  That book with your name on it is so worth it.

11. Where can your readers follow you?







Personal website:  http://www.michelleisenhoff.com



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the interview Rachel! Michelle Isenhoff is a really great author!
    Erik

    ReplyDelete