Sunday 20 May 2012

Author Interview: Shannon Duffy

Shannon Duffy has written Spectral.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Shannon Duffy and I live in Ontario, Canada with my husband and son.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The name of my most recent book is SPECTRAL. And the descriptor which happens to be in exactly 20 words, (phew), is, “Trapped in a sea of lies as a dark prophecy nears, can Jewel make it to her 17th birthday alive?”

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
My middle grade fantasy, GABRIEL STONE AND THE DIVINITY OF VALTA, comes out January 1st/13. And right now I’m working on a YA Cyberpunk titled, DREAMSCAPE. SPECTRAL is a standalone book.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I think my high school English teacher had a lot to do with it. (Insert Mr. Rowsell.) For some reason, I wanted to impress him and I remember trying really hard on creative writing pieces. After he graded them, he’d pick the best two to read aloud. (without saying who wrote them), and many times it was mine. Talk about an adrenaline rush! So, that kinda inspired me for sure. I’ve been writing for several years, but more seriously for about four years I’d say or around there.

5. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I really wanted a specific cover for this novel and I worked with a fabulous cover artist. Her name is Claudia McKinney at Phatpuppyart.com I had a lot of input—the model, the pose, the color clothes, and the butterfly. Then Claudia pulled out her magic. She’s amazing! I’m really happy with the cover.

6. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
Yes, I have a book trailer that was done by Vania at VLC photos. I like book trailers because they’re sorta like movie trailers and give teasers for your story in a real creative way. It’s fun to see your characters come to life in film or pictures.

7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I like e-books, and either paperbacks or hardcovers. A lot of times, I’ll buy a book on my kindle first and then if I love it, I’ll buy it either in paperback or hardcover. I think hardcover is probably better than paperback, but I’m not too picky.

8. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes, it definitely can and that’s why I was so picky in getting the cover for Spectral in the way that I envisioned. I know covers can make a big difference.

9. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Right now I’m reading Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi. It was a Christmas gift I received that I really like. I’m gonna soon start reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth on my kindle which I pre-ordered long ago. I’m really dying to read that one. The first in that series, Divergent was totally amazing.

10. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
I always say to write the story you love—the one that sticks in your head and excites you—as opposed to trying to follow a trend. Also, to read, read, read. Especially to read in the genre you are writing or plan to write. Another bit of good advice is to know the word count of the genre before you start writing it. That way, you’ll know what to aim for and won’t end up with a manuscript either too short, or way too long. The best advice I’ve received is to write a synopsis before starting. Not that you have to do that, and lots of writers don’t, but for me, it does help.

11. Where can your readers follow you?




Twitter: @ShannonDuffyLit 




Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment: