Sunday 6 May 2012

Author Interview: Niki Aguirre

Niki Aguirre has written Terminal Romance and 29 Ways To Drown.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Niki Aguirre and I am an American living in London.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The book is called Terminal Romance. A collection of stories about virtual relationships and the desperate need people have to connect to one another through whatever means possible.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I’m working on a novel set in Ecuador. I’ve never written a novel before. I’m excited as well as a bit nervous.

4. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, I do. At the moment TR is an eBook but even if you don’t have a reader, you can have a desktop version to read on your computer.

5. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
My cover was designed by the talented Amane Kaneko. I sent over some ideas and he came up with the tree of knowledge and computer, perfectly capturing the isolation in the book.

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
It’s a pun of sorts on the central theme of the book, which is about futile relationships. Well, maybe not futile exactly, but certainly hopeless.

7. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I don’t know if I’m alone in this, but after my stories get published I can name a dozen things I could have added or changed. In reality, aside for typos, you can’t easily make changes without influencing the rest of the work. So I guess the answer is NO.

8. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
This is my first attempt at trailers. I recruited my friends as actors, taking photos and coming up with concepts. I’m not sure if they really help in selling books, but I had a great time and I think the videos portray the themes of the book effectively.

9. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I thought I was specifically a print person but I’ve fallen in love with my Kindle. SO much easier to cart around all my books. I guess that means I’m not really fixated on a medium, as long as there are books for me to read.

10. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
If I fall in love a book, I’ll reread it again every few years and hopefully get something new out of it. My favourites are too numerous to mention, but I’ve reread stories by Borges, Gogol and Hemingway.

11. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Kindle. Hunger Games.

12. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Read a lot. Read out of your comfort zone. Read things you wouldn’t necessarily, such as poetry and non-fiction books. Pay attention to how people say things. But when you sit down to write your own stories, forget all of the above and make it your own.

13. Where can your readers follow you?



Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/nikel

Twitter: @nikelbee




Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment: