Saturday 12 May 2012

Author Interview: Carol J. Hansen

Carol J. Hansen has written DarkStar.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Carol J. Hansen and I live in central Utah.

2. Do you have a pen name?
No

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My novel, DarkStar is a fun, paranormal fantasy. Hmmm…20 words or less….
Alec, a modern wizard defying ancient obligation, Amrie his mystical, romantic connection, a conflicting power struggle between two magical brothers

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, DarkStar is the first book of my trilogy. I am currently writing the second, Wizard and the third will be, The Mysticryss.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I decided to write a book because I realized that I was good at writing dialogue when I was writing skits for girl’s camp some years back. I’ve always liked writing poetry and in journals & such and have done a couple books for my family, but started my actual writing career when I began writing, DarkStar about five years ago.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
I have done, yes.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
My book was written around its name, DarkStar and a symbol, the moon and star, so when I designed my cover, I saw in my head what I wanted. I needed a magical, mystical setting for my story, so I chose Warwickshire, England and the beautiful, high mountain, Cache Valley in Utah. I found an amazing graphic artist, Liviu Peicu, and he was able to take the image from my mind and design my beautiful cover. It’s actually listed on the most breathtaking and most haunting covers on Goodreads.

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
When I was a teenager, a good friend of mine gave me the nickname of DarkStar. I also had a symbol, the moon and star. I always thought it would make a great name for a novel. My friends nickname was, Wizard, so knowing, with a name like, DarkStar, my story needed to be a fantasy and it was only appropriate that it be about a wizard

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
The only thing I would change about my book is that I would have hired a professional editor. I didn’t and wish I had. I have received a lot of amazing reviews and feel good about my book but, I have, and am learning A LOT and my next book should definitely be called…”What NOT to do when writing a book”…lol. I do have an pro-editor lined up for Wizard

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don’t have a trailer and I may have one made at some point, but right now, I am actually in the process of having music videos made for a couple of songs that were specifically written for DarkStar. I think they will be better than a trailer because they will introduce the story with amazing emotion. I hope everyone will check out my blog and follow my amazing venture with, Matt Lane, the amazing musician from Los Angeles who read, DarkStar, wrote and recorded my three songs. I am only about 2 weeks away from having the 3 song, DarkStar EP that I will be marketing with my novel and Matt and I have decided to record a full, DarkStar album. Keep an eye out!

12. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I love having a book in hand, but e-books are amazing for traveling.

13. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am and Indie author and very happy with my decision to self publish

14. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Yes. I love reading a book more than once because you pick up on things the second time that you missed the first, just like when you see a movie more than once. I have read many books more than once.

15. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
No

16. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
No, but I like when a cover is appealing. An appealing cover makes you pick up a book and look at it. I won’t read any book with a cover that is offensive to me because if the cover is, the content probably will be also.

17. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
No, because there are a lot of good stories inside some pretty gruffy looking covers.

18. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?  
I am actually on a reading diet right now until I get my second book finished. It’s hard…but I’m doing it. After reading seven books of Chris Stewarts, “The Great and the Terrible,” series on my kindle…one right after the other, I knew I needed a diet

19. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Start! If you want to write…you have to start and don’t let anyone tell you that it’s silly.
Finish! Don’t let yourself get discouraged, because you will…just keep going.
Publish! There are a lot of avenues for writers that have never been available before, so there is no reason for you not to get your work published!!
Best advice to me: Get my second book finished

20. Where can your readers follow you?


Facebook page: Carol J. Hansen

Goodreads author page: Carol J. Hansen



Amazon: e-book and book available and also on my personal page; www.createspace.com/3538868


Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment