Saturday 26 May 2012

Author Interview: Joanne Brothwell

Joanne Brothwell has written Stealing Breath and Vicarious.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Joanne Brothwell, and I live in the country on the Canadian prairie, where my stories are inspired by the dead things that appear at my doorstep on a daily basis!

2. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, Stealing Breath is the first in a series. So far, the second book, called Silencing Breath, is currently with the editorial department with my publisher. I will be starting on the third shortly!

3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve always had an overactive imagination, but three and a half years ago a story started brewing in my mind, and I just couldn’t shake it. I allowed these characters to speak to me, and as a result, their voices grew in volume. Finally, their problems became so compelling they began to haunt my dreams at night. I couldn’t escape the constant barrage of Sarah and Evan's voices, and in February, 2008, I placed my hands on the keyboard for the first time, to exorcise those voices from my head.

4. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes – ebooks only.

5. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The cover art was designed by Liliana Sanches. I had some input into the cover art, basically offering ideas and suggestions for things I’d hoped for. I wanted it to have an eerie feel, with a moody forest to highlight the paranormal elements. I’m absolutely thrilled with the cover, it’s so beautiful!

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
It was really hard. I’m a little superstitious, and I find that I get “clues” from things in my environment, almost like my intuition is telling me to notice things that will lead me to answers. One day, the lyrics of a Duran Duran song stuck in my head, playing over and over, like it was on repeat. The lyrics said, “Mine, immaculate dream
made breath and skin I've been waiting for you.” Isn’t it sexy? I felt like that one line summed up the feel of my book – kind of creepy and sexy all at once.

I kept the word “Breath” and then needed something to highlight other aspects of the book. Like the fact that the heroine’s soul was at risk of being devoured. Then something else weird happened, the movie Stealing Beauty kept popping into my head. I started to look at it, thinking about the way the two words looked so oddly enticing together.

And that’s when it hit me: Stealing Breath!

7. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Twilight. I read it before becoming a writer and loved it, absolutely loved it. After I wrote my book, I got to know some other writers who absolutely hated it, tearing it apart for the poor writing. So I re-read it, with an eye on the writing. Guess what? I didn’t care if the writing had problems. I still loved it!

8. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
Cassandra Clare’s City of Bones. I don’t know why, but that cover called to me.

9. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Fifty Shades Free on my Kobo. I really don’t like reading on e-readers, but because of the content of this one, I didn’t want a physical copy of it in my house!

10. Where can your readers follow you?









Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment: