Monday 27 August 2012

Author Interview: Patricia Lynne

Patricia Lynne has written Being Human and Snapshots.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Patricia, but you can call me Patty. Never with an I though. I live in Upper Michigan along Lake Michigan with my husband.

2. Do you have a pen name?
Kinda-sorta. On my books it says Patricia Lynne. That's my first and middle name. When I started writing I knew my hubby and I would be getting married and my last name would change. But my first and middle wouldn't.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My recent release is called Snapshots. 20 words or less... Let's see if I can do this. Writers have a lovely ability to crank out words, but as soon as you ask them to summarize something, we get a glazed look in our eyes and go, Huh?

Cyc can see the future in your eyes, but his own future lies in his past.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I have a few books I'd like to eventually published. The one I'm currently working on is the sequel to Being Human. It's called Being Vampire, but it's not a direct sequel. It has cross over characters, but I think you could read either one on its own. While I love reading series, they annoy me because of the wait for the next book. I think that annoyance keeps me from coming up with book ideas that would be series.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I started writing just for fun. I always have trouble falling asleep at night, so I'd let my imagination wander and think up stories. One day, I decided to write one down. After that, I had a dream that I thought would be an interesting story (minus the cast of True Blood since they were in the dream.) It spiralled out of control after that and here I am four years later.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yup. All you have to do is ask. Or if I find you and think my book might interest you, I'll ask.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I am horrible with Photoshop and Gimp so I hired Keary Taylor to do my cover. Her work is beautiful and very affordable.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
So far, I only have 3 (4 if you count the second short story I haven't released yet.) Being Human is my favorite because it's my first book, making it my baby, and Keary did an amazing job.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
No way. When Keary sent me the mock up of Being Human, I squeed and spazzed out. I loved it. Then when she sent me the mock up to Snapshots, I squeed and spazzed out again. Needless to say, I love Keary's work.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I was approached by a Turkish publisher for rights for Being Human and I'm pretty sure they did a different cover... sorta. It's the same cover I have now, but friends and I are pretty certain it's a different model. What do you think?

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Titles are tricky so any title I get for my stories are strokes of luck/genius that I believe sap my creative juices for a few days and nothing gets done while I recharge.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Nope. I'm happy with how it turned out.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
Yes, I have a few book trailers. I LOVE making them. At first, I was resistant and tried to get a friend to do it for me, but he refused so I had to suck it up and do it myself. Ended up really enjoying the process and decided to offer myself to others if they wanted a book trailer. Strangely, I'm not too big on watching them. Only seen a few I liked.

14. What is your opinion on ARCs?
I enjoy ARCs. Always nice to read something before everyone else. With my second book, Snapshots, I tried to have eARCs for a book tour, but I ended up being so paranoid about it and decided I'm too neurotic to do it with my next book.

15. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I like e-books and paperbacks. The only audiobook I've listened to was for Harry Potter and the narrator doing Hermione's voice annoyed me. Hardcovers are nice but the slip cover always annoys me and gets ruined.

16. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I'm a self-published author, but I also call myself an Indie. I know some people keep the two terms separate, but I see self-publish as a type of Indie. Indie for me is anyone who goes independent of the major publishers. That can be with a smaller press or on your own. I don't argue with someone who has a different opinion.

17. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Harry Potter is the only series that I've reread books. I keep my favorites incase I want to reread, but with so many new books I never get a chance.

18. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
I'm working on getting the entire Harry Potter UK version. Not because of the cover though but because of the British slang on the inside.

19. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
I bought Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series because the shiny covers caught my attention. In the end I didn't read them. Started the first one, but put it down and never picked it back up.

20. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes. A cover is the first impression and if it's not good then I'm leery of how the inside will be.

21. What is your favourite film based on a book?
Does Scott Pilgrim Vs the World count because it's based on a comic book?

22. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
I'm a big paranormal fan all the time. You can always get me to pick up a paranormal book.

23. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why?
I'm always adding books to my wishlist and then instantly forgetting about them. I'm so horrible like that, but if the blurb perks my interest I add it. No idea if later on I will actually get the book.

24. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Sadly, I'm not reading anything but I need to start Wintergirls by Laurie H. Anderson.

25. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why? 
If we count Green Day as one person, then Green Day, Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman and Angelina Jolie. If we count Green Day as three people then Green Day and Johnny Depp. No reason other than I highly enjoy these celebrities (Okay, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Green Day) and would fangirl meeting them.

26. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
I know it's tough, but be patient. Work on improving your writing ability and putting out the best story you can. No matter what route you choose, do the best you can.
Best advice I've gotten is to relax. I have a bad habit of thinking of everything I need to do and it overwhelms me. My writing always stalls when this happens and I have to remember to stop, relax and breath.

27. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
I love to knit and make handmade jewelry that I sell locally.

28. Where can your readers follow you?








Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. OMG Rachel, I totally forgot about this and I even kept your emails so I'd remember. Thanks so much for having me and featuring my book.

    ReplyDelete