Wednesday 15 August 2012

Author Interview: Janet Edwards


Janet Edwards has written Earth Girl.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
I am Janet Edwards. Since my debut book is EARTH GIRL, then I definitely have to say that the place I call home is Earth, specifically England.

2. Do you have a pen name?
No, I am just myself.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The book is EARTH GIRL.
2788. Jarra’s faulty immune system means she’s an outcast who can only survive on Earth. Can she prove she’s human?

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
EARTH GIRL is the first book in a trilogy. I’m already working on the other two books.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing for about four and a half years, though I dabbled a little before that. In a sense, every book I’ve ever read and enjoyed has inspired me to try writing myself.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
My publishers, Voyager at HarperCollins, are in charge of sending out review copies.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The publishers have experts who do the hard work of designing and producing the cover art. Just as well. I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
This is my first book, so I’d have to answer that again in a few years time.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
No, I’m happy with them. I try not to worry too much about the covers since the experts know more than I do. I’d obviously try and get them changed if they had a brunette shown as being blonde, or anything silly like that.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
As it happens, Earth Girl has very different covers on the English UK and Commonwealth, and the German translation versions of the book. That is the decision of the publisher concerned, and of course they know best about the different fashions and expectations in book covers in different countries.

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Slowly. I think I was about half way through writing the first draft when I decided on the title.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I have checked every word of Earth Girl ten times. So have other people. There may still be a typo, or incorrect word, or something in there that we have all missed. If so, I would like to get rid of that.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don’t have a book trailer. I don’t know if the publishers will make one. Book trailers don’t usually get me interested in a book, but that’s a very personal thing, different for everyone.

14. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
They are all good in different circumstances, though reading ebooks in the bath is probably a bad idea.

15. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I’m not self-published. My English language publisher for the UK and Commonwealth is the excellent Voyager imprint of HarperCollins. My German language publisher is Rowohlt. News of any further developments will appear on my website www.janetedwards.com

16. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
There are hundreds of books that I’ve enjoyed enough to read several times. Some I’ve loved enough to read ten or twenty times over a period of years.

17. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
I’ve usually only had the option of the UK cover.

18. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
I may have picked up a book because of the cover, but the first few pages have to interest me too or it goes back on the shelf.

19. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes. A very bad quality cover makes you worry the story may be equally bad.

20. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
At the moment I’m reading Hunger Games in paperback.

21. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best advice was to write what you love. It’s much more fun that way.

22. Where can your readers follow you?




Twitter: @JanetEdwardsSF



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment