Thursday 29 August 2013

Author Interview: Sharon Sant

Sharon Sant has written Sky Song.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Sharon Sant and I live in Staffordshire, England.

2. Do you have a pen name?
I sometimes write for younger children under the name of Summer Hopkiss but my other novels are all written as plain old me.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Not Of Our Sky is book three of the Sky Song trilogy.  There’s love, loyalty, danger, sadness, sacrifice… and a hot Italian boy.
That’s 23 words but some of those are the title.  Do I pass?

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The Sky Song trilogy is complete now.  I have a new standalone being released on 8th June through Immanion Press, called Runners.  At the moment I’m working on another YA with the working title of Storm Child and I’ve just completed the first draft of an NA novel, the first one I’ve attempted. 

5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, I gift books all over the place because I just like to know people are reading them!

6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I did, but with a lot of help and input from friends and family.  The inspiration really came from the first two books of the trilogy as I wanted all the covers in the series to have a similar theme.

7. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
Probably Not Of Our Sky, actually.  I just like the sparkly purpleness of it!

8. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
I tried to change the Sky Song cover, so there are actually two editions out there now, but people complained that they liked the first one better so I switched it back.  I wouldn’t change the others yet, though I never say never.

9. Do you have a playlist in mind for any of your books?  
Not really for the Sky Song books, but for Runners there’s a Keane song called ‘On the Road’ that always makes me think of the book when I hear it.  The lyrics seem to fit the story perfectly.

10, Did you listen to any particular songs whilst writing your books?
I have to be very quiet to concentrate on writing, unfortunately.  I’m always jealous when authors say they can write to music because I’d love to.

11. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I’d never really thought about it.  Perhaps it would be an excuse to dust off my alternative Sky Song cover!

12. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Not Of Our Sky is actually a line from a prophecy that features in the book, so it was quite easy to come up with really.  I often take lines from the book to use for titles.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I’d love to have a book trailer.  I’ve seen lots and think they’re really good.  I’m actually going to look into getting one done for the first Sky Song book and also for Runners.

14. Do you have a “Dreamcast” in mind for any of your books?
Not as such, although some of the characters in my books are based on real actors that took my fancy while I was writing them!

15. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I have read quite a few books more than once.  Serial offenders are all the Harry Potter books, The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly and Island by Jane Rogers.  I’ve also read quite a few classics more than once; my favourites are Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities, Wuthering Heights and Catcher in the Rye. In fact, when I think about it, I’ve read loads of books more than once!

16. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
I have to admit that I have bought multiple copies of books because I’ve fallen in love with a new cover.  Which is probably very silly.

17. What is your opinion of novellas?
I have to say that I like novellas as I’ve written one!  It’s not out yet and probably won’t be until later in the year.  I know a lot of people shy away from reading them, but if a story only needs 30,000 words to tell it, I’d rather read that well written shorter version than a padded out one that bores me.

18. What is your favourite film based on a book?
The Princess Bride.  I just adore that film, always have.

19. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m reading in both formats at the moment, kindle and paperback.  My paperback is Black Heart Blue and on kindle I’m reading Trinity by Clare Davidson

20. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
Blimey, this is a hard question.  There are so many.  It’d probably be a really weird mix too.  I’d quite like to chat to Robert Winston because I bet he’d be fascinating (if he was busy I’d ask Brian Cox, so there’d be a scientist of some description!).  I’d have to ask Colin Morgan and if you ever visit my blog you’ll see why!  I’ve always thought that Michael Palin is just adorable and hilarious, so he’d be number three.  Maybe the last one would be Charles Dickens.  That gives me an equal measure of brains, humour, eye candy and creativity, but that also makes the whole table full of men.  I’m not sure what that says about me!

21. Where can your readers follow you?








Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment