Friday 15 June 2012

Author Interview: Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters has written Generation Dead, Kiss Of Life, Passing Strange and Break My Heart 1,000 Times.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?  
Daniel Waters, and I live in Connecticut

2. Do you have a pen name?  

Not at the moment

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?  

Break My Heart 1000 Times.  Scary.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?  

Always.  Quite possibly.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?  

No one person; i've been writing since I was a little kid.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?  

My publisher sometimes does.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?  

Disney-Hyperion has designed the covers for the U.S. books and S&S UK have done the UK editions and all are lovely.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?  

I really like the cover for My ebook Stitches, by the first U.S. cover of Generation Dead remains a favorite.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?  

I'd love it if we could stamp "Over 1 million sold!" on them at some point.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?  

I do, and I love having different covers.  Any art inspired by my writing is a treasure to me.

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?  

They appear magically in the writing process.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?  

Other than typographical errors I wouldn't change a thing. Oh and somehow the acknowledgements disappeared from Passing Strange; I'd love to put those back.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?  

There was a book trailer done for my second novel Kiss of Life.  I love them.

14. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?  

I like 'em all.

15. Are you a self-published / Indie author?  

I self-published a novel ages ago.  But since Generation Dead I'm not.

16. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?  

Many, many times.  I read all of Salinger every couple years, certain Stephen King novels, Shirley Jackson, a number of science fiction novels, Hemingway, Infinite Jest...

17. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)  

Yes, and yes.  I am a bit fetishistic about books.  I've definitely got an obsession for vintage paperbacks and oddball releases of books I like.  I'm a sucker for limited editions, too, especially if illustrations were added.

18. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?  

Yep. Unabashedly so.

19. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?  

Yes.  I can be very shallow.

20. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format? 

I'm reading a trade paperback of Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys

21. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?  

Understand that not all criticism is good or even well-intentioned.  Learn how to take a punch, and how not to return one.

22. Where can your readers follow you?


Your blog details? Www.danielwaters.com and www.mysocalledundeath.com


Your web site ? Www.gendead.com 


Your facebook page?http://www.facebook.com/daniel.waters.7923


Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/93220.Daniel_Waters


Your Twitter details? @watersdan


And any other information you wish to supply?
www.gendead.com
www.danielwaters.com
www.mysocalledundeath.com





Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment