Friday 29 June 2012

Author Interview: Krista Holle

Krista Holle has written The Lure Of Shapinsay.


1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
My name is Krista Holle (pronounced like the red berried tree), the author of the newly released novel, The Lure of Shapinsay. I live in Richmond, Virginia.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?  
The Lure of Shapinsay was released this past December. When Kait is lured by a seal man, she’ll risk more than a broken heart to be with him—she’ll risk her life. 

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The Wind Whisperer will be released later this year. It’s a young adult romance about a fifteen-year-old Native American girl with the ability to “hear” the voices of the wind spirits. While her tribe’s at war with a brother tribe, Anaii falls in love with the enemy. It’s a juicy love triangle filled with intrigue, murder, battles, and kidnappings. Even the guys will like this one. It’s the first in a trilogy.

4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book? 
I imagined a sexy young seal man coming out of the sea with a stormy sky in the background for the cover. When I contacted the very talented Reese Dante, she saw my vision as well. Many of the YA/New Adult books on the market featured girls; I wanted my book to be different.

5. Is there anything you would change about your book covers? 
This is a very interesting question. Several bloggers have been afraid to read the “Lure” because they thought it might be erotica based on the half-naked man on the cover. Yikes! I guess if I did it again I might cover up my selkie man a little more. Not definitely sure on this one—he’s half animal.

6. How did you come up with the title for your book? 
The Lure of Shapinsay is based on Scottish mythology, specifically the seal men who lure women to their deaths beneath the sea. It was important to me to have story explained with the title. My first choice was “Lured” but that title was taken. 

7. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers? 
My husband convinced me to make a book trailer for The Lure of Shapinsay. At first I thought trailers were a waste of time, but I’ve since changed my mind. I recently purchased a book because I couldn’t get a certain book’s trailer out of my mind. Trailers are very visual and connect emotionally to the reader in a way a book’s “back flap” can’t. 


8. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover? 
I’m ashamed to admit it, but I buy most my books based on the cover. I just finished The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and The Goddess Test. Both outstanding books with enticing covers.  Covers can make or break a book.

9. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing? 
The writing advice I would give is find yourself a good beta reader that isn’t afraid to hurt your feelings. I’ve received lots of good advice, but one piece that stands out is delete the word “get” from your vocabulary. It’s a terrible verb that I rarely use.

10. Where can your readers follow you? 




Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment