Thursday 8 September 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

ISBN: 9780061726828
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 480

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is the first book in the Delirium series.
Before scientists found the cure, people thought that love was a good thing. They didn't understand that once love - the deliria - blooms within your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon reaching eighteen.
Lena has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured of the deliria..... until she falls in love. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable and happy.... Or is it?

To start with I wasn't keen on it as the cover put me off a bit, but once I started reading it I really liked this futuristic dystopian tale. I enjoyed reading about Lena's background and how past events were still affecting her future descisions and actions. Delirium by Lauren Oliver reminded me of a cross between Matched by Ally Condie and The Forest Of Hands And Teeth, due to "uncureds" being paired and the city in which Lena lives in fencing in the "cured" and those that wish to be cured, whilst keeping out others which are to be feared: The Invalids. I loved the quotes at the start of each chapter, for me it made the book, just that much better!

Available at Amazon.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment