Kenneth G. Bennett has written The Gaia Wars.
1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Kenneth G. Bennett. Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA
2. Do you have a pen name?
3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My YA Fantasy/Adventure, THE GAIA WARS, was published in September 2011. The Second Book of The Gaia Wars, BATTLE FOR CASCADIA, will be available on Amazon and elsewhere on December 10, 2011.
THE GAIA WARS is a lightning-fast tale set in rugged wilderness. A cross between Last of The Mohicans and The Twilight Zone.
BY THE WAY: On October 1, 2011, The Gaia Wars hit #87 on Amazon's "Best Sellers in Children's Action & Adventure" list! I’d like to say a huge thank you to all the wonderful readers giving this book a try!
4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
BATTLE FOR CASCADIA, The Second Book of The Gaia Wars, will be available on Amazon and elsewhere December 10, 2011. There will be additional books in the series after that.
5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve made my living as an advertising creative director/writer for the last 15 years. My work has won awards, including an Emmy (for public service TV on early childhood development), numerous Clio Awards and a Radio Mercury Gold Award. THE GAIA WARS is my first foray into fiction and was inspired by my son, Eli.
6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
YES. HERE ARE TWO RECENT BLOG REVIEWS:
NEW REVIEW FROM THE BLOG “FANTASY COOKIE” http://fantasycookie.blogspot.com/2011/10/review-of-gaia-wars-by-kenneth-g.html
REVIEW FROM BOOKWORM CASTLE: http://bookwormcastle.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/gaia-wars-when-your-world-is-in-danger-how-hard-do-you-fight/
7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The cover was inspired by the story and setting. I worked with fabulous Bainbridge Island artists Jeffrey Hummel and Susan Marie Andersson. Jeff created the photograph and Susan did the layout and design.
8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The title was inspired by the theme of the book.
9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Not that I can think of. I’m pretty happy with it.
10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I do not have one. If the concept behind the trailer is strong and the production values are there, it can spur reader interest.
11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I like all of them! I read books in all of those formats and we listen to a lot of books in the car.
12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes, The Gaia Wars was published through Amazon.
13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. Four or five times. Love those books and they were hugely influential as I was growing up.
14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Reading a paperback version of 61 HOURS, by the amazing LEE CHILD.
15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best single piece of advice I can give came to me via Stephen King’s brilliant book, ON WRITING. King suggests that writers “trust the process”. If you have a great idea, dive in, start writing, tell the story. Don’t worry about plot or how the story will end. Just go for it. King says “Why obsess over how your book will end? Why be such a control freak?” I followed this advice when I wrote THE GAIA WARS, and it worked really well.
16. Where can your readers follow you?
Author Blog: http://kennethgbennett.com/
Series Blog: http://thegaiawars.com/
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TheGaiaWars
Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5131305.Kenneth_G_Bennett
Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!