Friday 20 April 2012

Author Interview: Thomas Winship

Thomas Winship has written Vaempires: Revolution and Vaempires: White Christmas.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Hello, I’m Thomas Winship. I live in the United States, about an hour north of New York City.

2. Do you have a pen name?
No.  Thomas Winship is my given name.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is Væmpires: White Christmas. With tensions between humans, vampires, and væmpires at an all-time high, world leaders schedule a holiday summit to salvage peace. 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Absolutely—more than one, actually. I have a lot of plans for the Væmpires series. I’m currently working on a zombie-related piece that takes place immediately after Væmpires: Revolution (book one) and bridges the gap between books one and two. After that, I’ll start book two.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve always been an avid reader, but I never gave much thought to writing. About a dozen years ago, creative writing courses taken in college started to open my eyes to the possibility… but something always seemed to be in the way.

My wife, Elaine, deserves credit for finally pushing me to follow my dream. In early 2007 she convinced me that it was time to stop wasting time, and I listened.  

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Of course. I gift either e-books or hard copies, whichever the reviewer prefers.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
A friend, Dave Dougherty, designed the cover. I shared some very basic ideas with him, but he came up with the cover concepts on his own.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
The covers of Væmpires: Revolution and Væmpires: White Christmas are based upon the same template, so both are currently my favorite.  

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
No. I’m perfectly satisfied with both covers.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
At this point, I wouldn’t. The covers really capture the spirit of the stories. Of course, I want to reach fans in the most effective ways possible, so I’m always open to the idea.

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I chose White Christmas because it is associated with so many positive things pertaining to the holiday—snow, the music, and the specials—but, most importantly, our inherent belief that dreams can come true.    

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I would love for it to be a mass-market release that’s in the hands of people all across the globe. Beyond that, I’m happy with it.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I love book trailers. Any way to get the message out there and connect with fans is a good thing. One day I hope to put together trailers that rival movie previews.  For now, though, my homemade trailers are available on my YouTube channel.

14. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I prefer physical novels. Hardcovers are best, although I typically buy paperbacks for two reasons—cost and size. I have several thousand books, so storage is always an issue. I do insist on hardcover (where possible) for certain authors and subjects, in particular Stephen King and Star Wars.

My library of e-books is growing by the day because it is the future of publishing, but I only own one audiobook. 

15. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes, I am. I spent a year trying to get attention from the publishing industry for my first novel (a mystery). It was a very frustrating and confusing year, mostly because the feedback was so inconsistent.

Once I finished the first draft of Væmpires novel, I decided to self-publish and avoid the headache.

16. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Yes, I have—but only a few. Don’t get me wrong, there are many books I would love to read again, but my TBR list is always so large that it seems like a luxury I can’t afford.

I was more apt to do so as a child. I read Tolkien’s The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, Alan Dean Foster’s Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind’s Eye, C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books, and Madeline L’Engle’s Time books multiple times. For a few years, reading The Tower Treasure (the first Hardy Boys book) each Thanksgiving Day was a tradition.

I’ve read most of Stephen King’s early works more than once, but I’ve read It, The Stand, The Talisman, and the first four Gunslinger novels multiple times. Other multiple reads are Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn (Star Wars) trilogy and Peter Straub’s Koko.

17. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of its cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
On rare occasions, I’ve purchased a specific version of a comic-related book because the cover featured an artist I like, but I’ve never elected to purchase a cover from a different geographic area. Until amazon came along, I purchased most books from a bookstore, so there was never a choice between covers. Even now, I typically buy the US version without looking at alternatives.

18. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
Absolutely. I walk through the local Barnes & Noble at least once every other week, just looking for new books. The cover is what causes me to grab it off the shelf in the first place.

Of course, I have an addictive personality (i.e., if I like a book, I have to purchase and read everything in the author’s bibliography), so I have to constantly restrain myself from grabbing too many.

19. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes, unfortunately, although I do try to be open-minded. Still, I’d rather see a cover with just the title and author’s name than some horrid visual.

20. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m currently reading Chris Jordan’s Measure of Darkness in mass-market paperback.

21. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Probably nothing that isn’t clichéd… but you have to write for the love of writing. If you write for fame or praise or leaving your mark on this world, you’re going to get your heart broken.

The best advice I ever received was from my editor, Neal Hock: “trust in your abilities.”

22. Where can your readers follow you?








I’d like to say, “Thank you” to Rachel for taking the time to interview me and to all of you for stopping by.


Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this interview, Rachel. Very interesting and thought-provoking questions.

    ReplyDelete