Monday 26 March 2012

Author Interview: Elizabeth Norris

Elizabeth Norris has written Unravelling. 

1. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My debut novel is title UNRAVELING and it will be released from Balzer+Bray on April 24th, 2012. It's a romantic YA thriller featuring Janelle Tenner, a seventeen-year-old girl's fight to save her family, her world, and the boy she never saw coming.

2. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
There is a sequel. I finished the first draft and turned it into my editor recently, and I'm already thinking of how I want to revise it. And I'm also plotting my third book which is a YA mystery.

3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I was always the kid who wrote stories. My mom has a story I wrote about all of my friends when I was in second grade. We all go trick-or-treating and end up in a haunted house. But I truly owe my love of the written word to my tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. Hall. She was a brilliant teacher and she knew just how to encourage me.

4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
My amazing editor and a slew of talented people at HarperCollins came up with the cover for UNRAVELING, which is a really good thing. Because if I had to come up with the concept or the art, it would have been terrible. I am not good with visuals.

5. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I have a different cover for the UK edition of my novel, which is actually called UNRAVELLING (with two L's). Both covers are really different, but they both are also really good depictions of the story. I love them both.



6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
My original title was actually Unraveling Ben Michaels. I came up with that because throughout the novel there are several mysteries, but the most intriguing one is the mystery about Ben--the boy who saves Janelle from dying. There's a line early on in the book, when Janelle tells herself she needs to unravel the mystery of Ben Michaels. When the book sold, we dropped Ben's name from the title because there are several mysteries Janelle is trying to unravel and life as she knows it is starting to unravel before her eyes, so we figured "unraveling" as a title could have several meanings.

7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I'm crazy about hardcover books. I like how sturdy they are and that I can read them over and over again and they still look brand new.

8. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I'm about to start reading an advanced reader copy of Insurgent by Veronica Roth.

9. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice to other writers is to read and write a lot. Like a lot of things, writing takes practice, and by reading great books, you can learn by example.
My advice to other writers who want to be published is to never give up. There are days when it's hard, when it hurts, and when you feel like it's never going to happen. But if you keep writing and keep pursuing your dream, it's possible.


10. Where can your readers follow you?








Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment