1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Sabrina Love Sumsion and I call a small, rural town in Nebraska my home.
2. Do you have a pen name?
Kind of. I published a short story as Bree Canheal. I might keep that pen name for my adult literature and publish my YA works as Sabrina.
3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Jasmine: Energy Book 1 is my most recent book. Summed up it is: Jasmine wants stability, friends and possibly love. Who knew aliens would complicate things?
4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I am working on the second book in the series. I’m at about 20K words as of today. I also have 3 stand alone books, another series and many short stories in various stages of creation.
5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
The idea of writing started as I worked as a literary publicist. Distressed at how many authors fell into scams and traps, I wrote Produce, Publish, Publicize to help authors navigate the publishing waters. I started that book about 5 years ago.
6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
I sure do. If someone is willing to share their opinion, I am willing to share my writing.
7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The cover slowly came together after working up several mock ups and getting feedback. The girl on the cover is my niece Emma. She posed for some pictures and I played around with them until I liked it. I played with a picture of lightning until it looked like a ball in her hands. It was a lot of fun to create.
8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
Jasmine: Energy Book 1. Mostly because it has my niece on there!
9. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
My husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday so I’m completely hooked on eBooks now. I still think there’s a place for paper books and I’ll still collect them but I like to snuggle up to my nook these days!
10. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am. I created a publishing imprint and both my books are released under that name. I have considered taking on other authors as well but I don’t think I’m in that place in my life yet.
11. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I have read the Dragon Lance Series, Brandon Sanderson’s books, the Harry Potter Series, the Dilbert Books and The Lord of Rings more than once. I’m re-reading Naya Nuki again with my children in Social Studies. There are some books that are just amazing and you have to read over and over again.
12. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Definitely! It’s sad, I know, but as I’m looking at books in the bookstore, the cover affects which one I’ll pick.
13. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
My nook is filling up so fast! I finished Victorine Lieske’s The Practice Date and I’m on to C.K. Volnek’s A Horse Called Trouble. The Practice Date is on my Nook and A Horse Called Trouble is a paper back.
14. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best advice ever is patience. The biggest mistakes in your publishing career come when you ignore the details and skip steps. Make sure to edit, find tons of beta readers and hire an editor to catch the last of your mistakes.
15. Where can your readers follow you?
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/sabrinasumsion
Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5423245-sabrina-sumsion
Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!