Saturday 27 April 2013

Author Interview: Kate Bloomfield

Kate Bloomfield has written Frost Arch, Flamethroat, Falling Ashes and Alpha Girl.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Hello! My name is Kate Bloomfield. Though I was born in London England, I have lived near Sydney, Australia for most of my life.

2. Do you have a pen name?
I do, but I’ll never tell. That’s the name I post my ‘naughty’ stories under.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My fifth book, Alpha Girl, is due for release on April 1st. It’s a student/teacher Paranormal Romance. Not for those easily offended!

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, it is! Alpha Girl is book one of the Wolfling Saga

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I decided I wanted to be a writer after I finished the first Harry Potter book at age ten. Joanne Rowling is my idol.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?             
Absolutely. I hold giveaways through facebook, twitter, goodreads, and my blog.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I design all of my own book covers using Royalty Free stock that is either gifted, or purchased. I trained as a graphic designer, so I have the skills necessary to create amazing covers.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
I’d have to say it’s a tie between Falling Ashes and Alpha Girl


9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Well, if there is, then I could always do it myself. That’s the great thing about designing my own covers; I am in control.

10. Do you have a playlist in mind for any of your books?  
I imagine a lot of grunge, indie, and raw music would suit Alpha Girl

11. Did you listen to any particular songs whilst writing your books?
I listen to a lot of classical music while I write. I find it helps soothe me. However, if I’m writing something particularly exciting, like an action scene, I’ll listen to rock music.

12. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
No, I think consistency is important so a book can be recognisable no matter where you shop.

13. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Most of the time I really have to think hard about my book titles. I’ve even held competitions in the past to name my books. However Alpha Girl has had its name since day one. It just made sense. If you read the novel, you’ll understand why.

14. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
One of the perks of being an indie author is that I get to write whatever I please, and if I want to change, delete, or add content, I can do so. There have been times where I’ve thought to myself, ‘Oh no, I should have added this to the novel!’ so I just go ahead and do it.

15. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I love book trailers IF they are done correctly. I can’t stand those dodgy Windows Movie Maker videos with tacky fonts and still images. I guess it irks my designer side. An amazing book trailer is: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. That is my idea of a good book trailer. I’d love to have a trailer of equal quality for my novels. Unfortunately, being an indie author, my budget does not allow it.

16. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
As an indie author, eBooks are the easiest, most cost effective way to go. Of course, it’s my dream to have my book in print in stores across the world.

17. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes, I am

18. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I’ve read the entire Harry Potter series through at least twenty times.

19. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
Yes, I guess it’s the designer inside me. I’ve been known to collect and buy books purely based on their cover. I love attractive designs.

20. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Guilty. I do judge books by their covers.

21. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
I’ve never been much of a romance reader, but lately I find myself trawling through the ‘taboo’ romance categories.

22. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
Easy.  First, Joanne Rowling, as she is my absolute idol.
Second, the actor Tom Hiddleston, who I have a desperate crush on.
I’d have to include Stephen Fry, because he is absolutely brilliant, and perhaps Hugh Jackman, simply because he is gorgeous.

23. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Don’t let the bad reviews get you down. Not everyone will love your work. There will always be a negative Nancy trying to ruin you.

24. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
I design, sculpt, paint, and knit. I drink a lot of tea, and get lots of tattoos.

25. Where can your readers follow you?

Official Website: www.bloomfieldkate.com









Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment