Wednesday 21 November 2012

Author Interview: S.L. Lewis

S.L. Lewis has written The Guardian And The Dream Crawler.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Sam, or SL Lewis, and I come from Fareham in the UK.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My first book is called The Guardian and the Dream Crawler and to sum it up I would say... It's a fast-paced, fantasy with a cocktail of action, humor, teen angst and a healthy dose of darkness. 

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I do and yes, this is the first book of a series aimed at young adults, teens and general readers. Although I won't be able to get away with a book about magic and wizards without comparisons to Harry Potter, I do think this has it's own life and will be a little bit darker, and quicker, as the series wears on. 

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I'm not too sure if anything inspired me as such... it's a hard one for because I have only in the past two years been writing and I've never really been an avid reader either. Throughout my life I have always been a bit of a day dreamer, my imagination ran wild as I created stories in my head or when playing etc. Now at 25 I find myself using these stories to create books so I guess writing is a fantastic outlet for me, something I possibly should have always done!

5. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The cover was originally and idea of mine, in my book the Dream Crawler lives in and is summoned from an orb so the orb always seemed like the perfect cover to have. The actual design however was done by Jane of JD-Designs who took my idea and ran with it to create the perfect cover. As you can tell i'm very happy with the outcome and hope anyone that reads it is too!

6. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
So far, being my first book, this one BUT I already have a great idea for the second cover and am sure with the help of JD-Designs it'll take another step forward.

7. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I don't think so, I mean one day if I'm lucky enough to get a publisher I may have alternative covers but that's a long way off!

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Well I had the Guardian part for a long time and I knew what the 'creature' in the first book would be but it wasn't until writing about it the idea of Dream Crawler came to me. How it crawled through the dreams of people with little effort before completing it's purpose... without going into too much of a spoiler! 

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I'm happy with the final result but I know if I keep reading, over the months and years there will be things that I'll think I could do better. Hopefully it'll be because I'd have grown into a better writer though.

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don't but they do seem like a great concept. Maybe I will one day, I find the trouble with them is if done right they're fantastic but if not... well I've seen some that don't help the product at all. No names!

12. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Personally I will always prefer paperbacks but eBooks are certainly the next best thing. In the world now everyone prefers things that are quick and instant, with the emergence of smart phones and tablets, but for me paperbacks will never be beaten. Nothing like holding a book.

13. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am, which is still a strange thing for me to comprehend! 

14. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I have three children so I think I have read all of Roald Dahls books at least a thousand times each... they love Mr Dahl.

15. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version) 
I did really want the adult covers of the Harry Potter books, I thought they were brilliant covers and bought them for that reason in both hardback and paperback.

16. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
I must admit that has happened, I can't even remember the titles of the books because the covers made me move on. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

17. What is your favourite film based on a book?
It has to be Lord of the Rings, the films were fantastic and I can't wait for the Hobbit film to be released.

18. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
It's always a good fantasy book for me, nothing like escaping into a different world to our own.

19. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I'm currently reading the Percy Jackson books, they're a brilliant take on Greek Gods and I'm really enjoying them so far! I have the whole series in paperback format.

20. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
I think it would probably be guy night at my dinner party, more of a sit down with pizza and xbox! I would invite Ricky Gervais, for his humor and entertainment. Thierry Henry, because he is my all time favorite footballer. Will Farrell because he is probably the funniest actor I've seen and William Churchill purely because quotes alone he was a fountain of brilliance and would keep us all in check!

21. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
Other than writing I enjoy playing/watching football, the WWE and discovering and watching the latest DVD series available. My current favs are Supernatural, House and American Horror Story.

22. Where can your readers follow you?

Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/SLLewis

Twitter: @S_L_Lewis1


My website: www.sllewis.com


Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment