Wednesday 5 September 2012

Author Interview: C.J. Redwine

C.J. Redwine has written Defiance.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
C.J. Redwine and I live in Nashville, Tennessee

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
DEFIANCE: Post-apocalyptic fantasy adventure with romance, danger, and a girl determined to get revenge.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
This is book one in a trilogy. The next installments will hit the shelves in fall of `13 and `14.

4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The amazing team at Balzer + Bray designed the cover. I nearly licked my monitor when I saw it. They did such a fabulous job, and I’m grateful because I have zero talent when it comes to artistic design!

5. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The original title was actually THE COURIER’S DAUGHTER, but after I sold the series, we changed the title to DEFIANCE. The publisher wanted something with a bit more punch to it to really capture the fierceness of the story. I’m glad they helped me with the new title because I freely admit to being one of the worst title-choosers of all time. One of my previous books (not yet released) was called Something Hinky on the Mountain for the longest time because I just couldn’t think of something better. And clearly, ANYTHING is better than that.

6. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I do have a trailer! I love a well-done book trailer. I’m addicted to going to the theater and one of my favorite parts is watching the previews. I love it when I gain both a solid grasp of the story and the lovely chills-up-the-spine feeling from an amazing trailer.

7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I love e-books, paper backs, and hard covers! I’m not a huge audiobook fan, but that’s only because my attention wanders so much when I’m listening to them. I need the connection of seeing the words on the page.

8. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Oh, yes! Actually, I keep all the books I really, really love and read them all more than once. In the last few years, I’ve re-read the entire Harry Potter series, Hunger Games, Divergent, the Anne of Green Gables series, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

9. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of its cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
No, though it’s fun to see the different covers offered. I buy whatever I can get my hands on the fastest.

10. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
No, though the cover is one of the first things that draws me to a book. I have to also love the synopsis. And sometimes I open it and read a page or two to make sure it will draw me in. If I’m still unsure, I text a friend or two who read as voraciously as I do and ask them if they’ve read and if I’d love it.

11. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Lol. Yes! I hated the covers for the Hunger Games trilogy. They just did nothing to pull me in. But I kept hearing everyone say how amazing the books were. So, a month before MOCKING JAY came out, I bought HUNGER GAMES, read it, and was an instant fangirl for life.

12. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
No advice comes close to this: keep writing. No matter what. It gets you through rejections and market slumps. And continuously pushing yourself to improve is how you learn your craft.

13. Where can your readers follow you?

Blog: http://cjredwine.blogspot.com (Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest links are on the sidebar)


Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment