Friday 16 March 2012

Author Interview: Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony has written Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story Of Death, Deception And Dishonor In Iraq.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Michael Anthony and I am from Raynham, Massachusetts.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is: Mass Casualties: A Young Medic’s True Story of Death, Deception and Dishonor in Iraq. 
It’s a memoir about a zany medical unit deployed to Iraq and the hijinks that goes on behind the scenes. 

3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing all my life, but what really inspired me to write a memoir about my deployment to Iraq was that I wanted to share a true glimpse of what a military deployment is like.  Often, the press and pundits take it upon themselves to inform people what’s going on overseas, and they drown out the voice of those who were really there—and, most times, the press and pundits get the stories wrong.  I wrote because I just wanted to let people hear the stories straight from a combat vet.

4. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, but not often.

5. How did you come up with the cover?
That’s a picture of me on the cover and we just wanted something that showed the casual face of a veteran.  That’s the uniform I wore every day in Iraq, and if you look closely you can still see some blood on my boots.

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The publisher actually came up with the title.  I didn’t really have a say in it.  They wanted something that conveyed what the story was about and that’s what they came up with.

7. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I guess, there are a lot more stories that I wish I could’ve added.  The publisher wanted a certain word length so we had to cut out some good stories that I wish we could’ve kept in there.

8. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
My book is available in kindle and hardcover, but personally, when I’m reading a book I like a nice hardcover book.  I like the feel of it in my hands, it feels permanent. 

9. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Nope.  Traditionally published, though a smaller publishing company.

10. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Absolutely.  Catcher in the Rye.  I’ve read it multiple times. 

11. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
Probably 50% of books that I read are based on its cover—or, at least, initially.  The cover is what pulls me in and has me pick up the book and start flipping through it.  So although I won’t read the book specifically because of what’s on its cover, it will convince me to start flipping through and then maybe buy it based on what’s inside. 

12. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am currently reading the first Hunger Games book and I’m reading it in paperback.  It’s pretty good so far, too.

13. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best advice I would give other writers is to go in a hundred percent.  I know too many writers where writing is just pipe dream.  They’ll talk about it day in and day out, but when it comes down to it they don’t take the necessary steps.  Anyone can Not write a book, but it takes a special someone to follow through and be self-motivated enough to make things happen.  And it’s hard to make things happen when someone’s not fully committed to the outcome.  When I started writing my first book, I put all effort into it.  I quit my job, slacked off in school, and stopped hanging out with friends as much.  I made sure that success was the only option and that I’d be left with no excuses if I failed. 

14. Where can your readers follow you?






Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment