Wednesday 30 November 2011

Frost by Wendy Delsol

ISBN: 9780763653866
Publisher: Candlewick
Pages: 384

After the drama of finding out that she’s a Stork, a member of an ancient and mystical order of women, and that her boyfriend, Jack, is a descendent of the Winter People able to control the weather, Katla Leblanc is delighted when all signs point to a busy and peaceful Christmas. That is, until the snowstorm Jack summons as a gift to Katla turns into the storm of the century, attracting Brigid, a gorgeous scientist who, in turn, attracts Jack. Between the school play, a bedridden, pregnant mother’s to-do lists, and keeping an eye on her aging grandfather, Katla doesn’t have time to question Brigid’s motives or deal with Jack’s increasingly cold behaviour.


I really enjoyed reading Frost, which was kindly sent to me and my mum by Wendy Delsol! Whilst Stork, the first book, focused on Katla and her gifts, Frost, the second book in the series focuses more on Jack and his abilities. My favourite characters were Katla and Hulda. Katla was one of my favourite characters because of her selfless efforts to help Jack gain control over his powers and also to save him from those who wished to take advantage of his affinity for weather. Despite not appearing in this book as much as the first one, Hulda was one of my favourite characters because of her mysterious ways and constant guidance & advice. I really enjoyed reading about the Icelandic folklore, legends and myths within Frost. I also really liked that the creatures that the stories were about were named in Icelandic, for me it made them more mysterious and magical. Although I really liked the cover of Frost, I would have loved the cover to have reflected the story within more and to have had more of a whimsical feel to it (because of the legends and folklore).


Available at Amazon.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment