Friday 4 November 2011

Author Interview: Andrea K. Höst


Andrea K. Höst has written Stray, Lab Rat One and The Silence Of Medair among others.



1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Andrea K. Höst and I live in Sydney, Australia.
 
2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book released was "Voice of the Lost", Part 2 of the Medair duology.  It's a book about coming to terms with failing your epic quest to save your people.
 
3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
My next book to be released is "Caszandra" which is Part 3 of the Touchstone Trilogy.  The Touchstone Trilogy is about an Aussie teenager who finishes her last exam at high school and on the way home "strays" onto another planet.  It's written in diary format, and shows how she deal with trying to survive alone in the wilderness - and then all the dramas she gets into after she's rescued by a technologically-advanced race of psychics.
 
4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
Reading inspired me to write.  I love to read.  I love getting caught up with the lives of characters, or the worlds they meet.  Writing was a way to make characters and worlds of my own.
 
5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yep.
 
6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
For the cover of "Voice of the Lost", I commissioned an artist named Julie Dillon to create a digital painting for me.  Because the novel deals with facing your past, and also has some water-related events, I came up with the idea of my main character looking into a pool of water and seeing her past self.  I sent Julie a very rough sketch of the kind of image I wanted, and she turned it into something magical.  I usually have quite specific requests for covers, but at times I've simply had the artist read the book and they've designed an image inspired by an aspect of the story.
 
7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
"Voice of the Lost" was one of my hardest titles.  I spent ages trying different variations, trying to capture the theme - it was called "Bars of Loyalty" for a long time.  But because Part 1 of the duology was called "The Silence of Medair", and climaxed with Medair "speaking up", I wanted a title which would reflect not only who Medair was after she had spoken, but also indicated that she would have to face - and hear - the people who had been impacted by her choices.
 
8. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don't have a book trailer.  I've seen some very impressive book trailers, but because it's not a way I discover books, I haven't gone all-out to make one.  I do have some ideas for a trailer for "Stray", however.
 
9. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes, I began self-publishing in December 2010 (after withdrawing an epic, ten-year submission).
 
10. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Today I'm reading "Cut to the Corpse", which is a cozie murder mystery about a decoupage shop.  It's a paperback, but I'll be reading the next book in the series on my Kindle.
 
11. Where can your readers follow you?









Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment