Thursday 5 April 2012

Author Interview: Amber Riley



Amber Riley has written The Flash Of A Firefly, The Well Of Truth and The Land Of Tears.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Amber Riley. I am currently living in Germany where my husband is stationed, but home is a little town in the middle of New York that no one has ever heard of.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My latest book is The Land of Tears. It’s the final Kindred Blood novel, in which Kaden must face his greatest fears head on to save Lyn.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes. I’m actually very excited about it. I’m stepping away from the vampires and moving onto demons. I’m at the very beginning stages of planning so I’m not sure if it will end up as a standalone or part of a series yet.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
It’s just something I’ve always enjoyed doing since I was a child. I was always writing little stories. I think the first time I wrote a short story with any sort of real plot was when I was about 11 or 12. My first full length novel was written in 2008-2009.

5. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I didn’t. I was assigned a design team at iUniverse that designed them.

6. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
I think I have to go with The Land of Tears.

7. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
I’m about to say something shocking here. I only sort of like my covers. I gave my opinion, but the company designed them. I had one chance to change anything I didn’t like. Once the changes were made, that was it, even if I still didn’t like it. I would have preferred something less simple. Nothing over the top, but just a little something more.

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Each book has a quote in the beginning that gives a sort of theme to it. I named the books from a part of their respective quote.

9. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I do have them. I can’t say I’m any good at making them, but it was fun anyway! I love watching trailers for books.

10. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Definitely hardcover. I’m slightly OCD about my books – they have to look exactly like they did when I brought them home. Paperbacks are too easily damaged. E-books are nice, but I prefer turning a real page.

11. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes. I self-published with iUniverse.

12. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I’ve read the Hush, Hush books a couple times. I would have read the Firelight books again if I hadn’t left them in the US when we got stationed in Germany for a few years.

13. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
All the time. Sadly, not all of them live up to the cover.

14. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
I hate to admit it, but yes. I wonder if the cover is poor quality, what the inside will be like. I have to remind myself that it is completely unfair and to give the book a chance anyway. It’s like saying a book with an amazing cover will be great. Not so.

15. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m reading A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies in hardcover. It’s one of the better books I’ve found lately. (This is one that I picked up because of the cover.)

16. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice is to remember that not everyone will enjoy your work. It’s important to remember that the one you need to please is yourself. Even the best novels have critics. The best advice I got was to go for it. I’d also like to pass that on to everyone.

17. Where can your readers follow you?
There is a Kindred Blood Trilogy Facebook page and blogspot. I am also on Twitter, but don’t use it as much as I should.







Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment: